Monday, March 24, 2008

Live with vision. It's a command!

About nine months ago, I began a life changing journey. I heard a sermon by Arron Chambers that led me to believe that little old me was supposed to do something about this enormous pandemic called AIDS. Geez. Where do I begin? An AIDS Walk sounded like a great idea and it still does, but it is a long work in process. So a couple of us started thinking about something we could do now to make an impact in the AIDS community of Jacksonville. We decided to make care packages for new moms with AIDS at The Rainbow Center in Jacksonville. The Rainbow Center is a family-centered, comprehensive health care provider for HIV-infected or exposed infants, children, adolescents, women and their families, including their partners. It began with the idea of providing a few baby care items, but grew into making laundry baskets packed FULL of baby stuff. I was completely overwhelmed with the enormous response from people that just plain care! I was and still am in awe of everyone's generosity. We collected enough supplies to make over 30 baskets!!! It was a lot of hard work and a lot of stepping out of my comfort zone, personally, but we finally got to deliver the care packages to The Rainbow Center. We delivered 12 baskets plus a lot of donated clothing; we will go back every 3 months to deliver baskets for a support group the staff holds for their new moms. I pray, that as time passes, we will build a lasting relationship with the staff and the patients. My ultimate goal is to be more than people dropping off baby supplies. God calls us to be the hands and feet of Jesus. May God use me and the many others who have jumped on board for this amazing, exciting, yet disturbing, heartbreaking adventure to show God's grace to ANYONE we run into along the way. Let Matthew 25:40 be forever in our mind as we work together.
Many have encouraged me along the beginning of this journey and some are already moving on. At first, I was very sad, but now I see that they can take this with them where they are going and make it even bigger. I will try and keep this blog up to date until we get a website set up of all that we are trying to do and I hope I will hear from all of you about your adventure, too. I am still very interested in organizing an AIDS Walk in Jacksonville. The non profit has to be up and running first, which, for me has been an uphill battle. I am not going to give up and will keep you informed. In the meantime, a group of us will be travelling to Orlando to walk in their AIDS Walk. I am very excited about the impact we could have there and I will let you know how it goes! Until then, live your life with a vision, a vision to love others no matter the cost!

1 comment:

RachelHale said...

Brittney, I love the blog!!!! I'm going to read it everyday! Miss you girl!