Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Will You Be A Leader?

What a question, right? I think it is incredibly difficult to be a great leader today. You have to be willing to do things outside of the box and take risks; a good leader must have an enormous amount of courage. I always thought a leader had to be someone that, not only looks like a leader(you know, put together, well-dressed), but also speaks with confidence and is not afraid of anything. Well, that is certainly not me. To be honest, I think I have lived my life as a follower. You tell me what to do and I will do it. Through the process of beginning this AIDS ministry, I have constantly been asking people I respect questions like, "what do you think, what should I do, do you think this is right?" Pretty much every reponse I have received left me more confused than ever. And I began to realize that God gave me this huge passion for a reason. I am often baffled when people do not get as excited about this like I am, but now I know that we all are given a passion and a purpose and God calls us to pursue it. No I do not look like a leader, no I don't talk like one and I am afraid of so much. But God gives me boldness when I least expect it and He gives me courage when I need it the most. When I think that all people see is this scared little girl, He allows my heart to shine through. When people do not understand why I am so passionate about helping people with AIDS and reaching out to the gay community, God gives me the words to say. So what is a good leader? I really am not sure how to answer that except that God made us all different and will use us how He sees fit. We, however, have to accept the call and have to be willing to sacrifice it all to accomplish His perfect purpose! I do not think I will ever consider myself to be a leader, but I do know that I cannot use this short life just to watch it go by. I said "yes" to God. There is no turning back. There is no cure for AIDS, but there is a hope that is eternal! May God be our ultimate leader today and everyday and give us the desire to seek the passion He has placed on our hearts with reckless abandon until the day He calls us home!

No comments: