Saturday, May 3, 2008

God Is Moving!

Have you ever really said "yes" to God? Well, when the reality of AIDS hit me through a sermon I heard (and that is only to make a long story short) and I said "YES!", God has continually brought experiences my way that would only strengthen my desire to do something about AIDS. Just when I think I am too tired or busy or burdened with problems, God will say, "BRITNEY... there is this seminar or this consortium or this walk, etc. you need to go to. Luckily, I go. Because I am so blessed every single time.

This weekend happened to be an HIV/AIDS Seminar at Calvary Chapel. I never would have guessed who would possibly be there. What I would learn. Anything. I just got a couple people to go with me and check it out. Honestly, there were not many people there, maybe 30, at the most.

We met Dan Davis, who was diagnosed with full blown AIDS in 1994. A man who was molested at a very young age and then raped as a young man by his landlord. A man who spent many years in the gay lifestyle, feeling scared and alone. Dan's story is amazing. He was saved by the grace of God, even after a preacher told him "leave the gay lifestyle or leave the church." Today he is saved; he leads a support group in Phoenix and is married with 3 kids. If only I could tell you his whole story. There is so much more.

We met Tracie and Tim Danneville. Tracie has been HIV for 24 years. She infected her now 18 year old daughter when she was born. Her husband has full blown AIDS. They have a ministry in Lakeland, FL called "Straight to the Heart." If I thought Dan's story was amazing, their story was even more powerful.

We also met Bruce and Joni. Bruce is someone I had read about already and admired him just because of his story. I never imagined I would meet and talk with him and be encouraged by him. He does not have AIDS or HIV, but he started something called He Intends Victory, which leads support groups for people with AIDS all over the world. If God can use Bruce, maybe he can use me, too.

The man that publicized this seminar in Jax says it was very frustrating. He contacted every church he could find, and did not receive one response. But I know that I found out about it because God wanted me there. He is moving in me and I am scared, overwhelmed, and joyful all at the same time.
Bruce said "God's church is a hospital for broken lives. People should be able to come there to be mended by the love of Jesus Christ." That is why we are here!!!!!

Isaiah 41:13 says "For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear, I will help you." What more do we need? We have to stop allowing Satan to use fear; I believe it is the church's biggest enemy. And mine. But God is moving in me and I won't give up. I met some beautiful people that are already fighting this fight. I am going to keep fighting with them. AIDS isn't going anywhere; there is no cure.
"But there is a cure for the hopelessness of AIDS. And we know that cure is Jesus Christ." Dan Davis

Let me finish with this. It is a rap written by Tracie's daughter who was born with HIV by no fault of her own. But God is already using this young woman in powerful ways. She is trying to prevent kids her age from getting the disease.

Fight AIDS Rap
by Leslie Clementi
Yo!
My name is Lesley and I wanna tell you
that I have HIV if you do that's two.
I am here to tell you and I am here to say
that you are cool in every way.
My mom has HIV my stepdad got AIDS
don't treat us like you want to throw us away.
If you don't want to be my friend it's your loss
but you're missing out on a lot. Oh Gosh!
I love you God can't you see
that you mean so much to me so I plea!
Bad times in life have been here before
Needles hurt they make you sore.
I have been kicked out of church
I have not been able to come
but all I need is love so give me some.
I am just like you
I am a normal teen, so let me do, too.
My biggest fear is to die,
but please listen up this is no lie.
I don't get sick very often,
but I don't want my mom picking out the coffin.
Ya'll hear me now; Don't have sex,
Cause you're taking a risk somehow.
So don't take the risk,
You don't want to turn out like me.
You don't want to walk in my shoes,
so thanks for listening to me!

No comments: