Friday, May 23, 2008

Sometimes Life is Unfair

I just finished reading a friend's blog about the tragedy that happened to the Chapman family. It breaks my heart. And I cry for them because it makes me think of my own son, who just graduated from preschool, who I love with everything I am. I cannot imagine my life without him.

I am also reminded of one of my heroes. My cross-country coach from high school, Coach Mac. He always believed in me, encouraged me and always had great advice about running. The best advice he ever gave me came years later, though. His teenage daughter, Jessica, was killed in a car accident driving home from the beach. She had so much going for her and it was all gone in a second. When I went to visit Coach, after the accident, I brought Isaiah, my son with me. I told him how sorry I was. And he gave me these, oh so true, words. "She was never mine in the first place. I just got to have her for awhile and I will cherish every moment I had. And he told me to remember that Isaiah is not mine; he is God's. Cherish every second." These words from a broken man. I remember those words and hold them close to my heart. May we always cherish our children, our perfect gift from God. And thank Him for every minute with them.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Oh no, what happened?