Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why AIDS? What Can We Do?


Why AIDS, you might ask me? When this all started, I didn't know anyone with AIDS or even anyone who had been affected by it. Honestly, I really never even thought about it. Out of sight out of mind, I guess. But then I heard a sermon and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The sermon was not about AIDS or sick people, but about getting out of your comfort zone and taking an interest in the people "out there." The preacher mentioned AIDS and how he just knew there was someone who would take this on. Of course, he was talking to me, right? I don't think so. I know God was grabbing my heart and ever since then my heart has been breaking for the AIDS community.

Just take a moment and think how you would feel if you were given the news that you are HIV positive. It is not a disease like cancer where you would let everyone know, so that they could pray for you and support you. Who would you tell? Who would love you despite the disease? People might be afraid of you. People might judge you. People might reject you. Am I saying this is right? No, but it happens. I remember hearing a story at a conference in Orlando about a man in California who was HIV positive. The only family member that would allow him to live with them was his brother. But he had to live in the backyard; the hose was his shower and the ground was his bed. Yes, this was in the U.S. I could tell you story after story of those infected with the virus being rejected by their own church, the very place they should find comfort. Would a cancer patient ever be turned away from church? So when you ask, why, there is my answer. AIDS is different. There is no cure. It can be prevented, but the numbers of those infected only keeps rising. I also believe it is a tremendous challenge to minister to someone with AIDS because of all the complications, the mistrust, the hurt. But that is EXACTLY why it is important that the church gets involved. If we don't, who will? I say it is time to let go of fear and ignorance and jump in; let's find a way in. Isn't that what Jesus would do? Some say it is their fault. Some say it is a "gay" disease. (I could write much about those statements, by the way. I DISAGREE) But I say, even if these statements were true, who cares? The church should be the first place they think of for help, not the last. I know what you are thinking. How can I or my church help? Here are a couple of ideas:

1. If there is an AIDS Walk happening near you during the year, walk in it. And don't just walk in it. Get a group together from your church and go walk together. Meet people. Make connections. Leave the walls of your church. This experience will open your eyes. The AIDS community would not really expect to see a church group there. You can make a difference just by showing up and being there to show your support.

2. DINING OUT FOR LIFE happens in March/April all over the US. (end of April for most cities involved) Check out the website. www.diningoutforlife.com (it lists all the participating cities/restaurants) All you have to do is go out to eat. Get a group from church to go out together and show your support.

3. This one is a little tougher. Get in touch with an AIDS clinic near you and simply ask, "what is it that you need? What can we do for you?" Trust me, they have needs. That is how the baby baskets got started. It takes a lot of time to build a relationship, but slowly they begin to trust. We are still trying to achieve that goal. When you sign on for this, be ready to stay involved. You do more harm than good if you show up once and then disappear- which is exactly what they expect.

4. This one is for preachers/youth ministers/family ministers, etc. Preach. You have so much influence on your congregation. People listen to you and they hang on your every word. Yeah, most of the time, we just wait for you to say something wrong. ;) But there might be that one person in the audience that God is using you to speak to. Be bold and have courage. I would not want your job. But oh how I would love to have that gift of speaking. Your influence is so huge. You might step on some toes, but think of the difference that one person that hears the truth could make. Have faith. Preach. :)

So that is it in a nutshell. I love you if you read this entire blog. I know I can go on and on and I would if I thought you had time to read it. Thank you for giving me your time.
Check out www.heintendsvictory.com

No comments: