Monday, November 3, 2008

NO EXCUSES!

It has been a week since the seminar and I have had some time to reflect on all that happened. I can honestly say, the night before, I was questioning why we had even attempted to do this. People were backing out, for one reason or another, even church leaders and an important speaker. Even at midnight, the day of the seminar, I was very discouraged. That morning, I was terrified. The devil was on the prowl, but I felt all your prayers and certainly was comforted by all the encouragement I received. All that fear and doubt was surely due to my lack of faith in all that God can do. His plan makes so much more sense than all I had in mind. I am so thankful for the 17 people that were there to hear such a powerful message.

I learned so many things that day. One of the details that has stuck with me is how surprised Joanie and Kathi (speakers from He Intends Victory) were that not one of us there knows a person with AIDS. They were so happy about that. It does not directly affect us, but we were still there. Many people have asked me why I am doing this AIDS ministry? I am perplexed and just have to say God. Why should it have to be something that affects me to get involved? Until a year ago, I was content going to church, working in the nursery, working with the youth, going to the service and going home. I am not saying those things are bad, but ARE THEY ENOUGH?! I just can't see how that's enough when there are thousands upon thousands of people OUT THERE that do not know Jesus. Why should we expect them to come to us? Isn't that backwards?

Many people have told me they do not share the same passion about AIDS as me. The more people have told me that, the crazier I start to feel. I have started to realize, though, that my passion is not really AIDS. My passion is people that don't know Jesus. People that we are not reaching. People with AIDS, the gays, the homeless, the drug addicts, the young girls having abortions, the prostitutes, the prisoners, the foster children, the deadbeat dads and on and on and on. Is the woman who just sold her daughter for sex, so she could support her drug habit really going to walk through the doors of your church and say she needs Jesus? And if she does what will they say? How will she feel? Should not we be walking in WITH her holding her hand? That is my passion and I pray with all my heart it will be until the day I die. Should not that be all our passion if we claim to serve Christ? Don't get me wrong; I am no saint. I love TV and good food and playing with my son and just laying around when I have had a bad day at work. I am judgemental and weak and lazy and have been my whole life. But I cannot believe that God is okay with me that way. AIDS is a ministry I feel the church has ignored for far too long and too much time has been wasted already. People in my community AND YOURS are living with a disease that cannot be cured and they are living with it with no hope. We know that hope is Jesus and we have to share that no matter how difficult and uncomfortable it may be. No excuses! You don't have to share a passion of AIDS; make your passion people that are lost. And let's join together to bring people that hope no matter the cost!

No comments: