Monday, August 4, 2008

This is only the beginning!

It has been about a year since I, so unknowingly, said "yes" to the call of working with people with AIDS. And I have loved every minute of it.... well, I would not say every minute. :) There have been days, even weeks, when I wanted to turn back and forget that it ever happened. I never realized how hard it would really be. I discovered that when I told these people we are doing something for them, it absolutely had to be done at any cost. A friend told me "this is a life committment. You cannot show up for these people and then find a new project; you will only end up doing more harm than good." That really hit home with me and I remind myself of that every time I want to throw in the towel.
I have been so blessed to travel on this journey with God as my ultimate leader. He has taught me much about myself and how little I was doing to reach the lost people that He loves so much. I still feel as though I have done very little, but my desire to love those who feel unloved only grows stronger every day.
This non profit we call Life With A Vision, is slowly taking shape. We will be tax-exempt, hopefully in the next month, only by the grace of God (bc first we have to raise $750 for an APPLICATION FEE!!??). I feel like we have dragged our feet so badly, but then, maybe God has just been preparing us for all that is ahead.
Personally, I have faced obstacles that seemed like huge roadblocks in the way. I am telling you, now, though, that every struggle I have faced in the past months has only made me stronger, more confident and more trusting that God is in control. I have seen projects almost completely fall apart, but then God, so graciously, takes it and makes it bigger than I ever imagined it could be. I am so thankful that the people at The Rainbow Center have received baby supplies (and will every 3 months) galore and will be getting a whole load of school supplies next week. God has provided me with tons of generous, compassionate, people that are more than willing to donate their money and time. I am so beyond thankful for every one of them. A seminar is being planned as you read this, which I am confident will have an impact on Jacksonville's faith and non-faith communities. I may even get the opportunity to attend a baby "shower" put on by The Rainbow Center to support pregnant women with AIDS! One step at a time God is moving me, using me, leading me and I want nothing more than to serve and to love and to embrace these beautiful people who have only felt fear and rejection and lonliness.
And what about the AIDS Walk? When we are tax exempt, we will begin to plan, something I am so excited about finally happening. Am I scared? Heck, yeah!!! But I pray for clarity; God will lead the way. And like my husband told me, "Night after night it returns to you, so day after day, you should follow it one step at a time. Never give up on a dream."

No comments: